The time I spent with Mr Ray Hunt changed my life and my view on the work with horses. He was the one who showed me the right, simple and never ending way of true horsemanship. “With more information about horses, we find out that we still have so much to learn. The process of learning, finding and listening has not the end.”
My first meeting in person with Mr Ray Hunt was on 13th of April, 2002 in Texas. I cannot describe properly by words how I felt, but I will try to share my memories and experience with horses and the best teachers of communication in the best way I am able to.
Mr Ray H. never wants to teach people as his teacher, founder of the natural horsemanship Tom Dorrance. But as life goes and Ray was getting older was impossible for him to watch all these difficulties and problems which people have with their horses (and also horses have with their owners). He has decided in that moment to start teaching people how to communicate and work with horses. “ We all are responsible for our horses and we have to work on our discipline, which is the key to success!! The thing we want to know as a first we will learn in the end of learning process.”
On the one week course was in the morning young horses first ride on the programme … riding without borders is the most important thing. Work with rope, flag, first contact with a saddle…
In the afternoon was a course of a horsemanship from the saddle. Work with back part of the horse’s body is for a rider very important. Basically it is a control of whole horse’s body. You have to give a space to your horse, because he needs a place where to go (opening of the gate to the space). Practice is not perfect, perfection is made by practice. I ride my horse, not the saddle!!! Ride your horse with energy hidden in all your body. Make your horse’s legs more flexible, soft and he will cooperate with you softly in his head. Do not work only with horse, try to work on yourself as well.
Mr Ray H introduced the first contact between horse and his rider, getting to the saddle,, first steps of the rider in motion on the horseback , flexing of the neck and back, changing direction and stopping. He showed later how to work with a bit, briddle or a horse without a bitting. Work from the top of the fence, getting to the saddle from the fence (better for the controlling of the horse’s body).
As for this master of horsemanship, the work with horses becames a my way of living. Thanks to Mr Ray Hunt I met many amazing horsemen, riders, breeders and horses, but I will continue with the story about them next time…
• Make the wrong things difficult and the right thing easy.
• The feel are in your hands.
• Get the feet soft and they will be soft in the head.
• Watch his ears, watch his eyes, they are good indicators.
• You are not working on the horse, you are working on yourself.
• The learning proces never ends !!!
• A lot of times we ignore the signals !
• Teach your horse to respond to light pressure on the hlater.
• Low hands make low head !
• Confidence is knowing you are prepared for the unthinkable.
• What you need to know first, is the last thing you learn.
• The horse will teach you, if you will listen.
• The human is full of opinions, the horse is the fact.
• I ride my horse, not the saddle.
• The slower you go, the faster you will learn.
• If you ride your horse with quality, you wont need quantity.
• Its a feel following a feel !!!
Ray Hunt´s - Words of wisdom